Thursday, March 3, 2011

Lucille Brawl #1

Title: Lucille Brawl
Issue: #1
Date: 2007
Publisher: Ratticus Redeemed
Writer: Krystal (Ratticus) Mickael
Artist: Krystal (Ratticus) Mickael
Cover: Stephen Polczynski

The costumed adventurer known as Lucille Brawl got her start in a daydream in Austin Texas, while on vacation from her home town of Chicago. She's got a set of tights and a short skirt, a police scanner, and a sidekick who mumbles unintelligibly through the gas mask he never takes off. She has to ride city buses to crime scenes, which means she's not exactly arriving in the nick of time most nights.

This photocopied minicomic is an amusing and charming take on the idea of an ordinary person who decides to become a superhero. Lucille tries to fight for good, but not always all that hard. There are plenty of reminders here that trying to be heroic is difficult, without the need to to into the excessive violence that many stories of this style take.

The art is done in more of an illustration than a paneled style, and it works well in most places. Print quality could have been better, with some dialogue pretty faded from the photocopy process (though none illegible in my copy).

Rating: 7/10

I actually have one more comic from Million Year Picnic to review, but I left it with my bag at work, so I'm turning my attention back to the (massive) backlog. I believe I picked this one up at SPACE 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment