Friday, April 15, 2016

Thieves & Kings #42

I have a consecutive run of three issues of Thieves & Kings, beginning with #42 in the random stack of unread comics.

Title: Thieves & Kings
Issue: 42
Publisher: I Box Publishing
Date: 2003
Writer: Mark Oakley
Artist: Mark Oakley

Thieves & Kings is one of those series that I've been meaning to check out for years. The art is absolutely gorgeous, and the setting looks intriguing.

That being said, issue #42 is probably not the ideal jumping-on point for a complex fantasy epic with a big cast of characters and painstaking worldbuilding.

But you know what? This was still awesome.

From the intense magical battle that opened the issue to the "quiet moments" that occurred after a several month time-jump, to the emotional character-building dialogue in the ending scenes, every bit of this was really good. And this was a random issue in the middle of the series.

Great artwork and great characters. Consider me hooked. Looking forward to the next two issues, and I'll be on the lookout for the trade paperback editions so I can read the story from the beginning.

Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment