Monday, October 24, 2016

Tales From Swafford Creek Vol. 1 #1

I attended the Cosplay Festival here in Ho Chi Minh City today, and can gladly report that geekery is alive and well in Vietnam. The vendors were largely the same as at the Manga Festival, which I attended in July, so I didn't end up buying anything this time around. I am still slowly making my way through my first Vietnamese-language manga, and I have a small stack of those waiting, so I didn't feel I should add to that stack.

The Kiddo and I did do some cosplay at this convention. We had a blast showing off our Minecraft outfits:




With no new comic purchase at the con, I turn to another minicomic from the unread comics pile. As with the previous one, the Columbus OH connection of the creator leads me to suspect that I got this at one of the SPACE (Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo) conventions that I attended in Columbus.



Title: Tales From Swafford Creek
Issue: Vol. 1, No. 1
Date: 2008
Publisher: Swafford Creek Studios
Writer: Brent Bowman
Artist: Brent Bowman

This half-sized minicomic is a collection of true (or at least, inspired-by-a-true-story) tales from the Sequatchie Valley in western Tennessee, where the artist's family is from.

The stories alternate between crime stories and love stories, with a final tale that has a bit more of a mythical feel to it.

The storytelling voice of the narration is great, and the tales all have a very authentic feel to them. The b/w artwork is nicely detailed with a flavor that matches the narration.

This was an enjoyable collection of stories that are straightforward, but pack a solid emotional punch.

Rating: 8/10




No comments:

Post a Comment