Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Eensy Weensy Monster Volume 1

I have a box of unread manga in my storage unit that I got years back when I was selling books online. This volume was dug out of that box. I'm listing this copy on Bookcrossing and "releasing it into the wild" (Bookcrossing ID #088-15140289, track its progress here).

We're reaching the end of summer vacation, and we've only got a couple more days before we fly back to Shanghai. I've got a small stack of 5 or so graphic novels that I'd like to read, rather than take with me, so I'm going to see how many I can get through in the next two days. Expect a flurry of reviews here if I manage to make progress on them!

Title: Eensy Weensy Monster
Issue: Volume 1
Date: December, 2010
Publisher: Tokyopop
Writer: Masami Tsuda
Artist: Masami Tsuda

Nanoha Satsuki is a hardworking but struggling student, outshined by her two best friends who are beautiful, brilliant, and popular. When she meets the arrogant "Prince" of the boys in the school, she loses her temper, and the little monster inside her totally tells off "Prince" Hazuki Tokiwa.

The result is a surprising series of changes for both students as they are forced to reexamine their own personalities and their places among the school culture, along with their feelings about each other.

This was a surprisingly introspective romance, paced slow enough to get to know the characters. It's got a big supporting cast that gets lost in the shuffle in places, but there are some nice touches of humor, and the artwork is lovely. The writing is quite self-aware, playfully making fun of some manga tropes as the story progresses.

Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment