Sunday, February 27, 2011

Stories I Wish I Could Tell You #1

Title: Stories I Wish I Could Tell You
Issue: #1
Publisher: Rocketships With Paws
Writer: Tim Manley
Artist: Tim Manley

Half-sized autobiographical minicomic that bounces around from the writer's current life as a teacher in Brooklyn back to his teenage years on Long Island. There are plenty of nerdy references (You can't have a Pokemon as your spirit animal! Ha!) and some interesting interactions between the narrator and his friends.

The art style will go into elaborate doodles to represent music and thoughts, and it also makes really good use of white space in places. Manley has done a good job of capturing his feelings of uncertainty and his need for some deeper meaning in life.

Minicomics make a good format for this type of slice-of-life story, and I enjoyed where Manley is going with this series.

Rating: 7/10

This is the third review of a small stack of indy comics I picked up on Saturday at Million Year Picnic in Cambridge MA.

No comments:

Post a Comment