Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Couch

Back from ComiCONN, which was a fun show in spite of a looming hurricane. I was running my table solo, which didn't give me a ton of time for shopping, but I did pick up two indy books, the first of which is today's review. That was going to be the extent of it, but someone was getting rid of a small stack of comics so I snagged them on my way out. As you might guess from the number of promo freebies I end up reviewing, my favorite word is "free" (my second-favorite word is "cheap"). So expect some reviews of some mainstream books in the days to come as well as the two small press books I brought home. Speaking of which, let's check out Tak Toyoshima's The Couch.

Title: The Couch
Creator: Tak Toyoshima

This is a "pitch book" and it was printed without any credits.

The book begins as a hardboiled cop story with a washed-out police detective who's got one last chance to solve the murder of a teenager.

Meanwhile, a girl shops for clothing for an amorphous creature that absorbs food through its skin, has the shape of a small humanoid, and just might contain the mind of the murdered boy.

The creature has also caught the attention of the local homeless community who believe it to be a demon that must be destroyed.

This was a really intriguing start, and the artwork was excellent. It had an interesting cast of characters, and a truly unique creature. I'll be interested in seeing how the story develops from here.

Rating: 7.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment