Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Wolf Girl

Happy 2013! Let's see about possibly putting the "daily" back into "daily comic review"!

I recently returned from spending a few days in the Berkshires. On the way home, I visited Modern Myths in Northampton MA, which sells a great selection of small press comics. This is one of several I picked up there.

Title: Wolf Girl
Date: 2012
Publisher: Laurel Lynn Leake
Writer: Laurel Lynn Leake
Artist: Laurel Lynn Leake

An encounter between a girl in a tree and a wolf who might not be a wolf (although on this particular day, he certainly is). Sixteen-page minicomic, b/w art with a color cover.

I like the nonlinear storytelling style that this comic employed. The language was simple and clear, and the artwork looked good, particularly on the various poses of the wolf pup.

Fun and original.

Rating: 7.5/10

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, Rick!

    Thanks so much for the review! It's so exciting to see someone picking up my work from one of my favorite comics shops and taking the time to record their thoughts and share them. I'm glad you enjoyed my way of telling this story - I'm fascinated by how image and text play off each other in narrative comics.

    And if you're interested in seeing more of my work, you can check out my store (http://laurellynnleake.storenvy.com/) or tumblr (http://www.counterintuitivecomics.tumblr.com/)! Thanks again for the lovely review. C:

    ReplyDelete