Sunday, January 19, 2014

Mouse Guard: Winter 1152

I had a great day at Arisia today selling my comics, and I was on my first panel of the convention, a discussion of comics for all ages. When I was putting together a stack of favorite comics will all-ages appeal, I noticed this unread volume of Mouse Guard, and I started reading it on the way up to the con, with the thought that it might be a title I wanted to talk about. Although the subject of Mouse Guard never came up in the panel, I ended up continuing to read the book during downtime at my dealers table and finished it tonight. So this will be my second Arisia review, in this case a book I read at the con, rather than one I purchased there.

Title: Mouse Guard: Winter 1152
Publisher: Archaia
Date: 2009
Writer: David Petersen
Artist: David Petersen

With supplies depleted as winter approaches, the guardmice send messengers to the nearby towns to request needed supplies and to invite the leaders to a summit to find common solutions to the threats facing the mice. David Petersen envisions a medieval-style society made up of mice and the warrior-mice who serve as their protectors.

While one group is split up as they struggle to make it home, treachery lurks in the halls of Lockhaven.

This was my first introduction to Mouse Guard, aside from a couple of their FCBD books, and I was very impressed. The fight scenes are harrowing and intense. The characters go through a whole range of interpersonal conflicts even as they loyally fight to save each other and their home.

The art is absolutely gorgeous, and the story built to a powerful climax, and followed with an epilogue that left plenty of room for further adventures.

Bonus material in this hardcover graphic novel edition include an introduction by Dinotopia creator James Gurney, maps, and pinup art by Geof Darrow, Stan Sakai, Craig Rousseau, Nate Pride, Sean Wang, and Jane Irwin.

Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment