Sunday, January 18, 2015

High-Five Magazine #34

The next in my series of reviews from the zine grab-bag I picked up as a crowdfunding reward from Boston Zine Fest. Technically does not count as a comic, but I'm never one to stand on technicalities.

Title: High-Five Magazine
Issue: 34
Publisher: High5!
Date: October, 2011

I'd describe this as a traditional zine, complete with pasted-on text, photocopied, and stapled half-sized. It's 20 pages of Boston-based weirdness with a bit of a Halloween flavor to it.

There's an events calendar that got me a bit homesick for Boston, followed by a guide to the locations of all the venues.

Also in this issue: An essay on composer John Cage and his famous non-music composition 4'33", an amusing "Horror-Scopes" segment, an illustrated guide to budget costumes for Halloween, a recipe for pumpkin waffles, and a feature called "How Long Is That?", which tells, well, how long various things are.

I especially liked the ending segment, a description of the Curse of the Haunted High-Five, complete with (adorable!) instructions on how to break said curse.

This was fun, and contained some good information on some interesting community events at the time of publication. It definitely brought a smile to my face as it referenced familiar locations around Boston.

Rating: 7/10



No comments:

Post a Comment