Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Everything You Wanted To Know About Killjoy Comics... But Were Afraid To Ask

From the random Stack of unread comics. We got this one at the SPACE convention in Columbus OH in 2008.

It's now two days into May, which means 45 days until we head back to the US. And after today's review, 38 comics left to go in the stack. I'm also trying to read a few more graphic novels, some that I own, and some from my school library. 

Title: Everything You Wanted To Know About Killjoy Comics... But Were Afraid To Ask
Publisher: Killjoy Comics
Date: 2008
Writer: Todd Swanson, Daniel "Doc" Holiday, Mark Anticole, Rick Antolic, Tony Schiffbauer
Artist: Todd Swanson, Daniel "Doc" Holiday, Mark Anticole, Rick Antolic, Tony Schiffbauer

This is a minicomic containing samples of five comic strips. Todd Swanson's Killjoy pairs two girls in a classic optimist vs. pessimist dialogue, that felt original and entertaining in spite of its fairly straightforward premise.

Martin Molotov by Daniel "Doc" Holiday features some good geeky science humor in a college setting.

Lab Rats by Mark Anticole also goes for the geeky humor vibe, but stumbles a bit more on its premise. It has some amusing moments, though, especially when it breaks the fourth wall.

Rick Antolic's Slap of Reality Man repeats the same joke every time. The things that annoy the creator coincide with a couple of my pet peeves, so I found myself laughing along, but I do wonder how sustainable this concept is.

Last up is Tony Schiffbauer's Garbanzo, which mostly focused on food and vegetable puns.

There were funny moments in all of these, and I thought at least the first two had some potential to work long-term. The print quality of the minicomic itself could have been better, as I found myself reaching for the magnifying glass a few times to read the dialogue.

That being said there was plenty in here that amused me.

Rating: 6.5/10





 

No comments:

Post a Comment