Sunday, January 16, 2011

Attack of the Super-Wizards #1

Title: Attack of the Super-Wizards
Issue: #1
Date: 2010
Publisher: Superwizard.net
Writer: Joey Peters
Penciler: Joey Peters
Inker: Joey Peters
Letterer: Joey Peters
Editor: Joey Peters
Creator: Fletcher Hanks

Fletcher Hanks created a number of oddball characters during comics' Golden Age in the early 1940s. Among his creations were Fantomah: Mystery Woman of the Jungle, Big Red McLane: Earth's Mightiest Lumberjack (no, really!), and Stardust the Super-Wizard. Fletcher Hanks' characters have fallen into the public domain, and Joey Peters lovingly recreates Hanks' style in this tribute comic.

There is some amusing material here, as well as some things that will just leave you scratching your head. And that is exactly the reaction you're likely to have to the original stories. My favorite segment in this issue featured Stardust's hardboiled detective galpal Rosemary Redgrave. I love her line "Have you sold squids to any suspicious customers lately?" The fact that the book is loaded with Lovecraft references is a nice little touch.

A few of the jokes fell flat, but I had a lot of fun reading this and learning about Fletcher Hanks and his comics. Readers will need at least a little bit of context to really "get" this, but once you have that context, it's quite entertaining.

Rating: 7/10

When I talk about "finds" at conventions, I usually mean comics I discovered walking around the dealer hall. This one was a literal find at Arisia. I found it on the sink in an unoccupied mens room. I forgot to take a photo of the comic at the con, so the photo instead was taken with the comic on a bench next to my bag as we waited for the train at Boston's South Station. Back to Arisia tomorrow, so look for more reviews of comics I find (one way or the other) at the con!

No comments:

Post a Comment